paddy mc loughlin
(IP Logged)

ban drink at tournaments!!!!
Date: June 15, 2005 07:35AM
i think all players should be banned from drinking at an event because when some players have 2 much to drink they give no respect to the players that are in the 'latter' stages of the tournament.

Its an absolute joke and im sick of it!!!!!!

Fred Dinsmore
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Re: ban drink at tournaments!!!!
Date: June 15, 2005 08:04AM
Good idea

As we are going to get involved more with epbf events from now on drinking and smoking is not allowed anyway (at epbf events) (sorry sould have specified this), so perhaps this would be a good place to start - there was actually a Chinese Taipei player disqualified from our World Championships in 2003 because he took a time out to have a cigarette (against wpa and epbf rules) seems harsh but he knew the rules and these sorts of rules which are inforced at international level may help solve some of the problems that have been discussed recently.

Just an idea for you the players who play more in these events than me around Ireland to consider, hope it helps.

Fred

Post Edited (06-15-05 19:08)

Fred Dinsmore

JoeytheSnake
(IP Logged)

Date: June 15, 2005 08:32AM
Just a few thoughts on this:

- I'll start by saying openly I sometimes like to have a drink while I'm at tournaments.

- I don't think the problem is people drinking, it's people being loud and disrespectful which is obviously exacerbated by alcohol in some cases.

- Therefore banning alcohol would punish those who can enjoy a drink but remain respectful to other players as well as those who are out of order.

Would it be possible to just have a system whereby anyone deemed out of order was given a warning then if still offending was banned for the next tournament? I don't know, it might be difficult to implement.

- The other main problem I'd have is how keen are the venues going to be to have our events if they know there'll be no alcohol being bought? I know in Dublin the main consideration of one venue when determining whether to host events is whether the increase in bar takings will make it worth their while. Almost all the venues on tour have bars and I reckon might have similar concerns.

- If alcohol was banned it certainly wouldn't affect my participation and i would be happy to abide by the rule, but I hope this doesn't happen.

Dillon
(IP Logged)

Date: June 15, 2005 09:53AM

Hey!

Well said Joey!

Dillon

"I dont have anythin fancy to say like the snake"

Fred Dinsmore
(IP Logged)

Date: June 15, 2005 10:26AM
Good Points raised Joey, it may be harder to talk clubs into hosting events but the reputation of the game will plummet anyway (and this is an important factor if it is to gain wider recognition in Ireland) if the stuff that has been posted continues to happen at events, and clubs will be therefore less willing to host events then anyway. I do think that a ban would be a good thing but I'm biased and dont drink!!!!!smiling smiley Maybe on the entry forms an agreement should have to be signed on "profesional behaviour" or words to that effect which players would have to agree to whether they win or lose which could then lead to a ban etc if a situation like the one John mentioned in another post was to happen which again seemed to have been brought about by too much alcohol but I wasnt there so maybe unfair of me to guess this?

Fred

Fred Dinsmore

Gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: June 16, 2005 11:07AM
I have no problem with someone having a drink when they are playing. I think having a drink and playing recreationally is a fine way to spend an evening and I agree with Joe that any ban might create a problem with some venues. That said people still have to drink something and the mark-up on soft drinks won’t see venues short.

Few people outside Pool will treat it as a sport while competitors are able to drink (or smoke) while playing. To allow players to drink alcohol while playing in a major tournament will hinder the sport gaining recognition, sponsorship and a wider participation base. I think sometime in the future as it follows the lead from other sports that have grown, and governing bodies like the EPBF, a ban may be inevitable.

Gareth Deegan
Irish9Ball.com

Willie 'The Wizard' Dines
(IP Logged)

Date: June 16, 2005 05:25PM
Hi Gareth^_^

I agree with you Gareth 100%

I personally think that there should be a ban or at least a limit on how much a player in the actuall tournament while he's competeing and the sooner that it is in place, the sooner everyone will get used to playing at a more proffessional level cos the EPBF is perfectly right to ban Drinking alchohol and smoking during the tournament and I'm looking forward to hopefully playing on the Euro Tour next year and so it'l suit me perfectly as I don't smoke or Drink alchohol, but I can understand that there's quite a lot of guys who can enjoy a drink without the interrupting of other players and I have great respect for those guys^_^

I guess it's always gonna be a 50/50 split, but I personally think that it can only improve the standard also^_^

Anyway, I'm happy with whateve you guy decide!^_^

Take care and I'll see you all in July^_^

Willie

JoeytheSnake
(IP Logged)

Date: June 17, 2005 05:02AM
Some good points lads. Maybe a ban on alcohol for those who are playing, while they are playing is a good idea. However, it would not address the issue of noise/disrespect from those watching and many feel that needs to be addressed.

Love the signature Dillon!

Joe

(IP Logged)

Date: June 18, 2005 03:25PM
Hi guys^_^

I've been having a think over the weekend and ya know what?... there may be a ban on the European tour for Smoking and Drinking, but these are part of what pool is, 9ball inparticular is a game from the pool haals in the states and is meant to be enjoyed by all players and you cannot expect to just turn a lively pool tournament atmosphere onto a the bloody crucible theater cos if you d that, then no-one will want to waste their time in lpaying in a tournament and I'm at the opinion of, if you can't concentrate enough to withstand a little atmosphere, then that's fair enough, but I do agree that some players/spectators are just too noisy and should shut their mouths and let the players have a chance!

I honestly think that there is a point in the topic, but it is something that will not benifit the tour!

I don't mind if any of you agree with me or not, but I don't see why that players who can enjoy a nice quiet drink and some tournament action, should have to suffer because of 1 or 2 people who have broken their volume control switch!

I hope that you can all agree with me, but if not then that entirely your choice^_^

Take care everyone^_^

Willie^_^

thedean
(IP Logged)

Date: June 18, 2005 03:54PM

Drunken louts and secondhand smoke = atmosphere

So according to you Willie if you cant stand a little distraction you shouldn't play.

I used to value your opinion Willie, I'm beginning to lose faith

Dillon
(IP Logged)

Date: June 19, 2005 03:45AM
who is the dean?

thedean
(IP Logged)

Date: June 19, 2005 05:48AM
I'm BATMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <">

(IP Logged)

Date: June 19, 2005 06:38AM
Hi Guys^_^

I'm not actually saying that you shouldn't play, i'm just saying that you cannot expect to have a 9ball tournament to have the atmosphere of a snooker tournament cos that just kills the game!!!

All I'm saying is that 9ball is a game for playing with a lively enviroment and good atmosphere, but I definitelt agree that there are guys who do go over the top and get a litle rowdy, but this is part of the game, but I do know that if other players are getting loud on a partcular players shot, then that is called 'Sharking' and that is something that shouldn't be tollerated at any tournament!

I personnaly wouldn't ban drink, but again, this is not up to me this would only be a decision for the Tour Director.

I would say that it would be better if there was a tour rule that;- "If any player is making an over the top level of noise after being asked not to should face a 1 tournament ban and also a fine of the entry fee of the tournament he was banned from, e.g. £20/ €30"

Let me know what you guys think as I know that alot of guys hate haveing too much noise as I do, but what I know of is when you're 'In Stroke' and you're concentrating, no matter how many guys are yelling, you won't hear a damn thing, but when you're haveing a day where nothing goes right, then you'll hear every damn noise there is to be heard.

It's a 50/50 decision on this topic and I'm happy to go with whatever you guys want to do, but I'm just trying to see it from everyone's point of view and it's not an easy thing to do!^_^

Take care guys and I'll see you all soon^_^

Willie^_^

Dillon
(IP Logged)

Date: June 19, 2005 11:39AM
Leave Batman out of this D!

Fred Dinsmore
(IP Logged)

Date: June 19, 2005 02:43PM
You seemed to have changed your opinion from your earlier post Willie, I personally think your first one was right and made much more sense, smiling smiley but looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one Willie. If we are to improve and challenge in future at European Championships etc we have to take the lead of other countries who have achieved things and this is just one way I believe we should go after all if we are to be taken seriously I honestly dont think we should be going against EPBF and (I think) WPA rules, if people want to play and drink and smoke I have no problem with that but NOT in competition, I think I have made my position clear on this one but again everybody is entitled to their opinion and really it is none of my business as I dont really play on the tour with all of you but I would love to see the tour getting stronger and other International medals come back to Ireland in the future and this type of change and others will make this happen faster as everything will become more professional - see u on Saturday.

Fred

Fred Dinsmore

(IP Logged)

Date: June 22, 2005 06:21AM
Hi Fred^_^... How are you buddy?...^_^

I know what you mean and I'm just trying to give both sides of the discussion and I'm not willing to pick sides cos I'm happy to go along with whatever you guys choose, but it's not up to me^_^

Willie

billy gorman
(IP Logged)

Date: July 15, 2005 09:38AM
Willie watch you don`t fall of that fence
and hurt that pool arm.
Drink is a part of pool,drunk pool players shouldn`t be.
That`s why u need tourament ref`s are big ronnie to sort them out.lol

(IP Logged)

Date: July 17, 2005 08:49PM
Hi Billy, Good to see that you still like to try and wind me up, but you still haven't got me yet and you never will^_^

I'm not on any fences Billy, I'm only stating from both points of view as I'm not gonna take sides on this as I have my own thoughts as to how a tournament SHOULD be, but untill the standard of play improves, then there's not much point in saying anything!!!

If I get a sensible reply that is not from someone who is trying to make 9 ball like snokker, then I'll give you my honest thoughts on it, but untill then I'm not gonna give my honest opinion on it.

Take care guys and I'l catchya later at the league Billy^_^

Willie

Fred Dinsmore
(IP Logged)

Date: July 18, 2005 01:27PM
This is not about trying to make 9 Ball like Snooker Willie (a lot of other countires, as I said before have implemented this rule basically to try and make the game more successful and Professional (and have succeeded as their results prove) and Snooker is virtually not played at all in these countries throughout mainland Europe or is very small, so I think it is quite incorrect to say that this idea is "trying to make 9 ball like Snooker". And I for one would not like to see it becoming like Snooker but that argument simply does not stand up for the reasons previously stated.

Fred

Fred Dinsmore

(IP Logged)

Date: July 19, 2005 03:59AM
I understand what you're saying Fred, But if you go to the US where the game is from, go to a tournament like the Derby City Classic or the US Open or some of the BIG tours like the JOSS tour and you'll find that that alot of players are playing in a lively atmosphere where there are people watching the tournaments who are cheering for other players because they have most likely bought them in a calcutta or something!

I'm just sayinf that POOL is a game to be enjoyed by all, but the more professional appraoch I agree with, but there should be a professional aproach that isn't going to take away a lively atmosphere to the tournamentsmiling smiley

It's a hard thing to explain, but I guess it's down to what the individual player believes, but I have played since I was 5 and I do know that 9 ball is intended to be a lively, fun and yet competitive game, that's why it's so popularsmiling smiley

Like I said before, I'm happy to go with whatever is decided, but again, I'm not gonna give my full personal view on it cos I know that it's pointless to argue when I'm hapy to go with the majority on itsmiling smiley

Take care everyone and I'll catch ya soon^_^

Willie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here