thedean
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Proud
Date: April 29, 2005 01:48PM
Just like to say how proud I am of the Irish Team, especially Gareth Deegan who led the team.

I watched the 8 Ball and 9 Ball final and all I can say is, I was blown away by the standard of play.

It takes a lot of guts to play against the best of europe !

Well done to everybody involved !

Willie 'The Wizard' Dines
(IP Logged)

Re: Proud
Date: April 29, 2005 03:01PM
Yeah I agree buddy as They have all went over with no real knowledge of what exactly to expect of themselves and I'm just sorry that things didn't work out better for me to go, but life's a tart and some bugger always finds a way to eat it before you do!

Take care guys and I too am proud of you all!... WELL DONE!

Willie

Gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: April 29, 2005 03:14PM
Cheers Dean.

I was honoured to be given the opportunity to represent Ireland in Europe. Its been a tough week for everyone on the team, but we have all learned a great deal about what needs to done to be internationally competitive in the future.

If anyone is interested, I can tell you that there is a gulf between the top players on our tour and the standard in Europe. But I'm optimistic, as other countries have started from where we are starting from, and have gone on to win European titles.

What it basically boils down to is professionalism. To compete here, players need to get sponsored, treat this sport as a job, go training every day, use the best equipment, get the best coaching, and get physically and mentally fit.

If anyone thinks they can compete here by playing a couple nights a week in their local club, I reckon they should think again.

Gareth Deegan
Irish9Ball.com

(IP Logged)

Date: April 29, 2005 05:01PM
I agree with you gareth 100%, But there's few clubs that bother to give the best of equipment to play on as well a efficient amount of room to play on 'em!

Saying that, I agree totally and this is why I think that there's too much luck going on in events, but it's not up to me to try and change it!

After June I will know about my decision as to whether to continue playing or not, in fact if I do decide to retire from competitive level, then it will be after the PRO-AM in Dublin!

Well done gareth and I think you guys have put in a great effort in the event!

I wish to all the safest of journey's home and I look forward to hearing from you when I next see you!

Bye for now!

Willie

Gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: April 30, 2005 04:46AM
Willie,

I personally hope you don't retire as I think you still have achievements ahead of you playing pool. But I do hope you take up coaching, as well as playing, as Ireland needs 'pool' coaches badly. I think it would be a loss to loose a real pool player when there are still too many pool-players in Ireland that dream about being snooker players.

Some of them have a snobbery against pool. I'm not saying these players wouldn't kick my ass, thats not my point. These players are not playing to their full potential as they are not bothering to learn the game. I've seen a lot of pool this week and the shot selections here are different to what you see on the Irish Tour. New players are generally gonna copy what they see and playing a snooker style will only hold back the game in Ireland.

If anyone wants to be the best pool player they can be, watch it being played by professionals (whether on tv or tapes), learn the game and forget about snooker.

Gareth Deegan
Irish9Ball.com

(IP Logged)

Date: April 30, 2005 10:48AM
Hi Gareth

Thank you for the encouragement your giving me to keep playing!

If I was ever holding a Pro-Am event at 9ball, US 8ball, 14-1, etc.... I would not have any snooker players there at all becuase they don not know the exact style in which American Pool is meant to be played and of course they generally come to the table thinking that they can't miss and 8/10 times they get proven wrong and they get beaten badly at the table and the same for most UK 8ball players!

What I would say is to all players that if you can't get used to an american style cue then why the hell do you bother to play the game?.... and I'm saying this because there's still a few guys on the tour who still play with snooker/8Ball cues with the brass ferrules and they don't realise that those cues are no use to play American pool with!

Another problem I have is a general lack of respect for poolplayers in venues and I'm not talking about any venue in particular, I'm saying that if the club that is holding a tour event, they should make a point of KEEPING THE PLAYERS AREA CLEAR FOR THE PLAYERS!.... and I know of only 1 club that does this and we haven't got a tour event there yet and it's about time that we did!

I also think that if the tour is gonna be to a high standard then the equipment has to be a high standard also, other wise it's pointless trying to improve the level of play cos you're gonna have the same problems over and over again and Proper Tournament ball sets & Triangles is a good start and will have to be invested in!

IN fact, I ask everyone who comes on to this forum to say whether or not they would like to have Proper Match Ball sets and Triangles, cos If so then I would be happy to chip in 50 to wards this as TV BALLS are not cheap and neither are the DECENT QUALITY WOODEN TRIANGLES which is better than the scrappy cheap plastic triangles that rack the balls a ft apart from each other!

If you want something to work, you have to do it right otherwise you're wasting your time and I got no patience to be wasting mine!

So if you want the right things, then you gotta be willing to put some effort in!

Take care and I'll See you all soon!

Willie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here