trevor kelly
(IP Logged)

pool cues??
Date: April 27, 2005 06:30AM
hi there people i am a complete novice to the game of nine balll pool so i have a couple aof questions i hope you dont mind answering

1. can i use two different cues for playing with one for breaking and one for acctually playin?

2. how do i actually get involved in playin ranking tournaments?

i will be very greatful if someone was to answer these for me thanks

thedean
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Re: pool cues??
Date: April 27, 2005 08:34AM
Hi,

Yeah...Thats right ! you use a break cue when breaking and standard cue for normal play.

There quite a lot of info on this site and you should check out [www.irelands9balltour.com] for info on entering tournanments.

Willie 'The Wizard' Dines
(IP Logged)

Date: April 27, 2005 11:02AM
Hi Guys!

Trev?... Wlecome aboard!

The Dean is 100% correct and generally it's widely known that you are best to use American pool cues (11.5 - 13 mm Tip)

I'm sorry if it seem like info that you already know, but some guys still use a snooker cue and I don't agree with that cos when the tip is ready to be changed and if the ferrule is exposed, then you always get little chips in the cueball and also scuff marks on the cloth because of the brass ferrule!

It's great to see new people join the tour and you're always welcome!

There will be a new beinning for the tour in June, when the new tours are starting, but with more events and prize money and also with the addition of monthly events at Club 9, Dunmurry, South Belfast!

I look forward to seeing you at the event in Letterkenny in June if you're there and I hope that you enjoy the tour!

Take care guys and I'll see ya soon!

Willie

trevor kelly
(IP Logged)

Date: April 27, 2005 11:06AM
thanks guys

(IP Logged)

Date: April 28, 2005 06:51AM
Anytime buddy, anytime!

John Madden
(IP Logged)

Date: May 03, 2005 09:08AM
Hi guys,
I just typed in Irish pool and came across your site and have read your posts. Sounds like you are hooked on pool and this is a site to promote American pool by exchanging information. Just a little background for you. I love pool - have played nine ball, one pocket, straight pool for about 50 years (started at a very early age). I have played in major US events and have beaten some of the best American players - played Keith McCready, Mike Segal, Nick Varner, Allen Hopkins etc (all the old guys). Mike Massey is friend - saw him in March (at Allen Hopkins Expo) and he gave me a big bear hug and picked me up - and I am not a small guy. Not trying to brag just giving you some info about my pool life since you don't know me. I am also a cuemaker. And yes, I would love to sell you a custom cue. I do not know if any are interested but thought I would give you another option - but do not want to step on anyone here. And yes, my name really is John Madden - Jack to my friends - Jackie to my family. If you are interested in a custom cue built by an Irish American (Madden - Dalton) I can build it. I am a voting member of the American Cuemakers Association. My website is www.johnmaddencues.com. I do splice points, veneered points, recut points, and some beautiful plain jane cues.
Jack Madden
www.johnmaddencues.com

Post Edited (05-04-05 23:36)

(IP Logged)

Date: May 03, 2005 12:22PM
Hi John, welcome to the forum of our humble little 9 ball tour!

I hope you're keeping well buddy and that everythings going great for you!

It's funny that you mention Mike Massey cos I was just reading an article on himlast night on the Billirds Digest website and I'm glad to hear that He's getting alot better and feeling better about himself!

I myself have picked up a cue when I was 5 and benn playing American Pool from I was 10 and I play the same games you mention (invluding a 104 unfinieshed run at Straight Pool!)

I'm glad to hear that you're a cuemakes also cos it gives the guys more choice of a ready made cue from Platinum Billards or a custom cue from yourself!

I'm glad to hear from more from more american players and I've wondering if anyone from the other side of the stream had heard of us, but you've just answered that!

The tour we all play on here has just recently become a EPBF recognised tour and we have now got 3 tours at the moment, which are:-

the Irelands American * ball & 9 ball tour and also a Pro tour which is in it's first year as the tour is only 3 years old, but it's getting pretty sucsessful!

It would be good to have you over sometime just to let you see for yourself what the tour is like and you're more thatn welcome!

Anyway, Take care buddy and I'll check out your site as I'm making a cue change, but I'm just shopping around first!

All the best!

Willie

John Madden
(IP Logged)

Date: May 04, 2005 02:56PM
Thanks Willie
I tried to reply to your email - my email sent me a message about not being able to connect (don't understand) but would keep trying for the next 5 days. So if you don't get it, let me know and we will try something.

One thing, I failed to mention. I am custom cuemaker but the only cuemaker in my shop. Lots of cuemakers have a staff of people building cues for them. I build each cue myself - and make all the parts except the tips, and bumpers (even make my own bolts). If you have any questions, you can email me or go to my website's "contact us" page - the contact page is sort of cool - picture of Montana cue sticks (one of the big Western states - at one time Butte, Montana had more Irishman living there than any other place on earth except in Ireland). I live in the middle of a hay field in grizzly bear habitat - see them a lot in the fall going from the mountain to the neighbors corn field (they eat the corn and the apples from the trees along my fence) -- big animals who are only interested in the next meal but they sure move fast. Neighbors have Black Angus cows. The cows are funny, if they have calves they will sort of get together and rush towards that bear bawling the whole time - the bear leaves!! But check out the contact page - has some nice scenery.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

(IP Logged)

Date: May 04, 2005 05:28PM
Hi Jack, How ya doin??...

I sent you the msg thru your "Contact Us" page as I was asking to just get a price of how much it would cost!

I have saw the gallery of cues and there is some fine cues there, unfortunatley the one that did catch my attention was SOLD, but there you go.

I have seen photos of Montana and there's quite a few ranchers out there and a lot of great scenery, but there also some good action out there as well if you in the right places!

I'll send you my contact number just in case you're unable to reply to the e-mail, but I know that there are very few cuemakers now that build the entire cue themselves as like you say they emply different people to do a particular part of the cue and this is how they're able to produce more cues, but the authenticity isn't there in those kinds of productions and that's what a lot of cue sticks are mising today!

Take care buddy and I'll talk to ya soon!

Willie

John Madden
(IP Logged)

Date: May 07, 2005 09:12PM
Willie
My webpage should be updated sometime next month. It will show some recut points and maybe some veneered points - the cues I am doing now. I do have some cues that are available but not on the site. I need to learn how to update my own site. A cuemaker not only needs to know how to build cues, he needs to be a machinist (to fix lathes and to do the tooling), but now you need to be able to take photos like a pro, need to know how to run a computer and be a web guy!!! But if you or anyone is interested in available cues just email me at cuemaker@johnmaddencues.com or go to my "contact us" page of the webpage www.johnmaddencues.com and I can send you some pictures. Cues have veneered points, spliced points, no points, and recut points.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

(IP Logged)

Date: May 08, 2005 05:14AM
Hi Jack, It's good to hear from ya buddy!

I'll send ya an e-mail for the pics, but I can recommend Gareth Deegan to advise you on how to update your website as he updates bothe of our tours websites and he does a great job at it too!

I hopw that you cna update your website soon as I like to see what other cue you got and what weight the cues are as I i'm currently useing a 19 1/ 0z Meucci 'Gambler 2' but I'm looking to make a change a.s.a.p and I'm loking for a particular cuestick and I'll know it when I see it!

Thanks again Jack for the info and I hope to be in touch real sson!

Wilie

(IP Logged)

Date: May 08, 2005 09:04AM
Hi Jack I meant to ask if you could give me a price on a cue with the same as one of the model you've got, but with the forearm being the same as the butt!

It's the Jm2oo403 as I would love to have a stick the same as that, but as I described in having the rosewood and Ivroy design above the wrap as well!

But I'll look forward to seing your other new cues as well!

THanks Jack!

Willie

John Madden
(IP Logged)

Date: May 10, 2005 03:07PM
Willie
Sent you another email - hope it goes through. And thank you for the recommendation for Gareth. I was checking out the website before. Another good thing he did was make it so you could find it - a lot of websites don't show up on the search engines until you have gone through the first 2,000 web sites. Son in law promises to help me next month if not, maybe I can exchange a cue for a webmaster.
Jack

(IP Logged)

Date: May 10, 2005 06:00PM
Hi Jack, How are ya buddy??

I'm glad that I was able to help!

I just checked my first e-mail adress and it hasn't arrived yet, but I'll check the other pat in case it has arrived there instead!

I was wondering if you got a contact number so that I can call you if I have anything I want to find out about a custick, just incase the e-mails aren't getting thru!

Thank you Jack and it's always good to hear from ya!

Take care untill next time buddy!

Willie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here