willie
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Who Do You Think Was / Is The Greatest Player And Why?
Date: August 25, 2009 05:33PM
Hey Guys smiling smiley

Who do you think was or is the greatest pool player to ever live or roll the Ivories or phenolics in the green felt jungle? smiling smiley

For me, there are 2 players that fit into this category, but only 1 of them stands out.

1. Alfred DeOro (1862 - 1948)

- "The career of the distinguished Spanish champion ALFREDO DeORO encompassed both Three-Cushion and Pocket Billiards and spanned the closing decades of the 19th century and the opening decades of the 20th. DeOro, who served in his country's diplomatic corps, first gained the Pocket Billiard crown in 1887. He was to repeat the achievement 16 times in the next 25 years. DeOro held the Three-Cushion title 10 times from 1908 through 1919. In 1934, at the age of 71, DeOro came out of retirement for a Championship Tournament, winning two dramatic victories from defending champion Welker Cochran and the ultimate winner of the tournament, Johnny Layton" - Quoted from the BCA website's HoF page.

2. Efren "Bata" Reyes

There is not much that you can saw about this guy that hasn't been said already smiling smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]

This is a guy who plays every discipline to a very high standard and has won titles to prove this, including a tournament win in Snooker, but with all of his achievements, he is still very much a gentleman, a good character and has most likely inspired countless younger players in Asia to pick up a pool cue and start playing smiling smiley, and that in itself is an achievement that can't ever truely be measured on paper smiling smiley

Here is some more info from the BCA website HoF page;-

"EFREN REYES was born in Pampanga, Philippines, on August 26, 1954. At the age of five, he went to live with his uncle who owned a pool room in Manila. He picked up the nickname “Bata”, which means “The Kid” in his native language. Young Efren worked as a billiard attendant, sleeping on the pool table so he could play as soon as he woke up. He taught himself the “simple” shots such as English, draw, follow-through and position by watching the good players. But his secret may be found in what he learned from the weaker players, who sometimes made unintentional, but brilliant shots. This ability to make the “impossible shot” earned him the nickname of "The Magician". Mr. Reyes is a Gold Medal winner in the Asian Games (9-Ball) and Southeast Asian Games (Snooker). In 2001, he won the richest first prize in pool history ($163,172) in the Tokyo 9-Ball Championship. He is also a champion at Rotation and Balkline. His many wins include the 1995 Pro Tour Championship, 1995 PBT World 8-Ball, 1999 Derby City One-Pocket, 1999 ESPN Ultimate Challenge, 1999 WPA World 9-Ball Championship, 2000 Camel Pro 8-Ball, 2001 Masters 9-Ball, 2002 Challenge of Champions and 2003 Mid-Atlantic 9-Ball Championship. He led his country’s team to victory in the World Team Billiards event"

Willie Mosconi was undoubtedly 1 of the best of all time, but he mostly just played straight pool and didn't really give himself a chance to see what else he could achieve in other disciplines, but at the same time, winning 15 world titles and achieving an unfinished high run of 526 balls is still nothing to sneeze at smiling smiley

And so, with all this in mind, I ask you guys who think was or is the best pool player ever live? smiling smiley

Willie

Stephen
(IP Logged)

Re: Who Do You Think Was / Is The Greatest Player And Why?
Date: August 26, 2009 10:56AM
Hi Willie, good to see you're still of this earth! You never cease to amaze me with your vast knowledge of the history of the game and players, so i will bow to your vastly superior "know how" on all things pool related, reckon Gareth is the only player who comes close to you in that category. I will say that my favourite player is Bustamante, his all round play is a treat to watch and his cue action supreme, he is i suppose a bit like Jimmy White, the greatest player never to win a World Championship although if it is to be played again my money will be on Django. Hope to see you Saturday.

Cheers

Stephen

willie
(IP Logged)

Re: Who Do You Think Was / Is The Greatest Player And Why?
Date: August 26, 2009 03:08PM
Hey Stephen, how are ya buddy? smiling smiley

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it smiling smiley

I've just learned various bits'n'bobs over the years through the sheer enjoyment, appreciation and intrigue for the sport, both as a player and a fan of the sport smiling smiley

It's great that you mention Django because if there's any pool player today that deserves to have won at least 1 world title, it's gotta be Django.

In fact, 2002 is the year I feel he deserved to win the title most, purely because Buste got a phone call from his wife back home in the Philippines, to notify him of the sad news that their 10(?) month old daughter had passed away, and understandably, Buste was on the brink of forfeiting his next match to fly home, but some friends of his from the Philippines convinced him to keep playing.

He may not have won the trophy, but I think Django was and still is the real winner in that event, because he found the will to play through some of the most difficult circumstances possible and was able to dig deep and play strong pool, right up untill the last few racks of the final, which really says a lot about his character smiling smiley

Willie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here