gareth
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
World Championships
Date: September 03, 2008 08:27PM
Does anyone know if the World Championships are taking place this year. I heard that they were finding it hard to get a venue in the far east, and even that Cardiff was being mentioned as an 11th hour alternative?

RB
(IP Logged)

Re: World Championships
Date: September 04, 2008 11:42AM
Hi Gareth i received the following from the EPBF President regarding the 2008 World 9Ball Championships.......

Dear All,

With regrets I have to inform you that we have to cancel the planned qualifier for the WC 9-Ball ( which was planned after the Euro Tour in Weert ).

The reason for this decision which was taken in the light of the fact that Matchroom informed us that in spite of all attempts it still is not sure that the WPA WC 9-Ball will take place in 2008. In spite of all efforts there is still no local organizer found that want to host the WC 9-Ball.

There is still a slight chance but it looks like it that it will not happen. Of course the WPA and Matchroom will do what even can be done to find an organizer and we will inform you a.s.a.p. when the situation will change but for the time being the WC 9-Ball 2008 is not going to happen.

gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: September 04, 2008 12:54PM
Thanks Ronnie.

I was reading that there is currently a huge amount of infighting in Philippines pool, with different organisations and promoters battling for control. It seems that the problems surrounding the World 9-Ball Championships stem from this.

The good news is that the World 10-Ball Championships which were similarly threatened will now take place as scheduled in Manila at the end of this month.

My guess is that something will be worked out in time for the World 9-Ball.

gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: September 21, 2008 08:08PM
This is the latest:

2008 Men's World 9-Ball Championship postponed
Published Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 | Author: Thomas Overbeck

The WPA 2008 Men's World 9-Ball Championship has to be postponed into early 2009. We have received a short statement from MatchroomSport: "Matchroom Sport can announce that the 2008 WPA World Pool Championship will not now be happening in November of this year. Instead, it is hoped that the event will take place in the early part of next year, with the 2009 World Championship taking place in late 09."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here