OTBnTV
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 31/07/2008
Different games different rules
Date: August 06, 2008 04:56AM
I would like to introduce myself, I'm Don Akerlow. I live in Montana and love it here. I fish, hunt but mostly like to make straight lines out of curves on the highway with my corvette. I play a lot of pool. I have played VNEA, BCA, APA, TAP, Independent leagues at one time or another.
The VNEA I have played for 23 years. I am in the publishing business and publish a billiard magazine that comes out monthly. We also have a film company that films league players, pro and this past may filmed the VNEA Nationals.
I have been playing pool since I was 18 and that's over 40 years. I've won a lot and I have also lost ... a lot.
My philosophy in life is "Don't be the rock, be the water."
I have 3 kids, 5 grandchildren and a wife that I have been with for 37 years whom I love and adore.
My curiosity in pool goes to the different types of games you can play on the table with different rules.
One example here in Montana is called Madison Valley Rules, basically it is 8 Ball any league rule you want but before you can make the 8 you have to make one of your object balls in a side pocket. Your opponent makes it in the other side. The side pocket is determined only after you know whether you are stripes or solids.
Does anybody else have any other games out there that is a little different?

Big Dave
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Re: Different games different rules
Date: August 07, 2008 08:08PM
Don Akerlow, "On The Break news TV" is as awesome as your beard is long Sir!

Seriously that's a great web site you've got there, one of the first that I saw that was venturing into streaming video for pool players.

If you want to see how the Americans do it, have a look at Don's site here: www.onthebreaknews.com

Don, I've managed to collect a few unusual sets of rules at my site, look down the left-hand-side!

All the best,
Big Dave.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/BigDaveKnight/POOL/Pro9Signature2.jpg

OTBnTV
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 31/07/2008
Date: August 10, 2008 05:46PM
Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate you directing players to our site. We have a challenge match that is listed on the home page but we'll have more information this week.

Here is another game that I was just taught not long ago by a gentleman named Coyote from Vancouver, Washington, USA.

Easy or Fast 8 Ball
You rack 4 Solids and 4 Stripes and the 8 Ball in a nine ball rack with the eight ball in the middle, any rules can be used
if nothing else it's good practice if only to play by yourself for a 3 or 4 ball out

Big Dave
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Date: August 12, 2008 08:31PM
Hey Don, that sounds bizarre!

I only recently realised that "6-ball" was invented so that bar table players could run out the striped balls after a game of nine ball, by racking the No. 10,11,12,13,14 and 15 balls into a hexagonal shaped rack!

Here's an interesting set of rules I found, with a fun description of how they were invented:

------------------
RULES: WHITE HORSE
------------------

The game of White Horse Pool has an amusing origin. During the year 2001, two Pool players, Steve Avery and Jeff Latif, played Eight-Ball regularly at the White Horse pub in Poplar High Street, London. One summer evening they both had drunk so much that they unwittingly started to pocket the wrong set of balls. After a while they realised what was happening. Of course, the regular game was ruined by then. Rather than waste the rest of the rack, Steve told Jeff to play the more difficult set of balls. After his inning, Jeff told Steve the same. White Horse Pool was born.

Players: 2, 3 or 4 (or even 5)

Skill Level: Inebriate to Professional

Objective: To pocket the 8 ball legally.

Play: All the General Rules of Eight-Ball Pool (as defined by the American Pool League) apply in White Horse.

The only difference between White Horse and regular Eight-Ball is that, as soon as a legal break has been made, and the breaking player has ended his turn, the outgoing player always calls which set of balls the incoming player must play. This rule applies, even when one set of balls have all been pocketed, and only the 8 ball is needed, to win. Of course, when both sets of balls have been pocketed, and the 8 ball is the only ball left, there is no point in calling the set.

As the end of the game approaches, the play becomes more and more tactical.

The great advantage of White Horse is that it can be played by an odd number of players.

Copyright 2001 by Steve Avery.
Permission is granted to copy and distribute this document provided that it is not modified without permission from the author and this copyright notice is retained.
-------------------------------------------

Here are the rules to a variation of this game called GERMANS here:
[www.pro9.co.uk]

All the best to you Don,
Big Dave.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/BigDaveKnight/POOL/Pro9Signature2.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here