gareth
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Mosconi Cup 2007
Date: November 28, 2007 10:28AM
The greatest team event in Pool, The Mosconi Cup, takes place at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas from December 1316. After last years disappointing performance by the Europeans, I'm interested to know what people think will happen this year. The Europeans did far better than the Americans in the recent World Championships, but the Americans are always strong in the Mosconi.

The Teams for this years event are:

USA
Johnny Archer (Georgia)
Shane Van Boening (S Dakota)
Rodney Morris (Hawaii)
Earl Strickland (N Carolina)
Corey Deuel (Ohio)
Non-playing captain: Kim Davenport

Europe
Ralf Souquet (Germany)
Niels Feijen (Holland)
Tony Drago (Malta)
Konstantin Stepanov (Russia)
Daryl Peach (England)
Non-playing captain: Johan Ruijsink

Thoughts?

Gareth Deegan
Irish9Ball.com

Fred Dinsmore
(IP Logged)

Re: Mosconi Cup 2007
Date: November 28, 2007 01:31PM
Probably USA again, at home this time. They seem to play better as a team. Europe could have a secret weapon in Johan Ruijsink, I think he was there last year also, he coaches (or coached)? Kurt DeKlerck and he said he is brilliant at the psychological part of the Sport which is even more important in Mosconi ,I think. The new players on both sides will again be crucial it will be interesting to see how Daryl Peach copes with World Champion pressure and on the other side how Van Boening handles the "Golden Boy" tag? I would guess USA again but I hope Im wrong!!!!

Fred

No shoes
(IP Logged)

Date: November 29, 2007 07:44AM
I hadda go for the US,as 4 out of 5 players are pretty much regulars every year in the team and VB is on fire at the moment too. Of the Europeans i'd say Souquet and Feijen should deliver when it matters as usual,Peach obviously has nerves of steel at the moment so no probs there. Drago,mmmmm....dunno which Drago will turn up...toss a coin!, and Stepanov has question mark beside him playing on TV tho had some great results in w champs, so, man for man, for me the US just shade it.

feenor
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 09/09/2007
Date: November 29, 2007 08:10AM
i think europe will shade it because the bigger names in the yanks are not as consistent drago can control himself within a team it will mean more to him

Stephen
(IP Logged)

Date: November 29, 2007 09:13AM
USA for me as well I'm afraid, proven as a team and they always seem to have the backbone just right imo, Archer, Morris and Strickland. I've a sneaky that the Pearl will be electric this year!

Here's one for Gareth maybe, is there not a State where Mosconi Cup will get a better live audience? I seem to remember 2 years ago very few Yanks were actually table side watching except Louie with his flag!

Cheers

Stephen

gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: December 14, 2007 12:10AM
I know what you mean Stephen. I think the problem with Vegas is they are playing at 11am in the morning and Vegas doesn't wake up that early. The east coast is strong for pool, and it would be great to see it in New York. Its pity its not on when the BCA, VNEA or APA championships are in Vegas or you'd have 5000+ players fighting to get in.

So the first day is over and USA lead 4-1. I wouldn't write off Europe yet, but this might not make it to Sundaysmiling smiley

gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: December 18, 2007 01:43AM
I'd just like to say congratulations to the European team, who won a thrilling Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas, winning 11-8. They were 20/1 outsiders after the first day's play but showed great spirit and determination to fight back and regain the trophy.

I think a lot of credit has to go to non-playing captain Johan Ruijsink, who was able to get them working as a team and keep them believing they could do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here