Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
No shoes
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
world 9 ball championships
Date: May 23, 2007 08:54AM
has anyone seen the qualifiers list for this years wc in philipines? forgive me if ive missed it but hasnt ireland been granted a spot this year? i know last year we were.our significance in the 9ball world community ladder seems to be ziltch!is there a problem with the epbf? i dunno.i mean to say...there was a number of players from ireland supported this years euro champs, youd think they could has give us one spot! maybe im barkin up the wrong tree or somethin...or may be im just barkin! anybody knows any more on this subject let us know washappnin! cheers(ps...im not really called noshoes...ive got em back.so ill call meself gary oh by the way ive still a few soft mooris if anyone wants 1 bye for now

gareth
(IP Logged)

Re: world 9 ball championships
Date: May 23, 2007 09:48AM
Gary,

As far as I know the WPA took a decision last year to standardise the qualification for the world championships. In relation to all european players the criteria is as follows:

1) The Top Eight players in the 9-Ball division at the European Pool Championships and The Gold Medallist in the Straight Pool division at the European Pool Championships

2) Winner and runner-up of all Euro Tour events.

3) The top 28 ranked European players on the EPBF Euro Tour Rankings

4) The next five players ranked between 29-50 representing five different European countries not represented in the above categories from the EPBF Euro Tour Rankings

5) Team Europe representatives at the previous three Mosconi Cups.

Each continental federation has similar qualification criteria. John Wims from Ireland qualified last year because he won the 2006 Oceania 9-Ball Championship. I believe that the Sponsor/Promoter has 10 wildcards it can use and the WPA has 5 wildcards.

I think the reason for the change was that strong countries (germany, holland, etc.) were under-represented. My own opinion is the current criteria keeps a good mix of countries but raises the bar regarding standard. It still favours countries like Ireland who only need to get a player in the top 50 on the Eurotour to qualify (whereas playes ranked above them from other countries may not qualify). I think there are at least 2 Irish players able to accomplish that. And to be honest, if you can't get into the top 50 on the Eurotour you shouldn't be in the world championships, IMO.

paddy number 1
(IP Logged)

Date: May 23, 2007 01:23PM
i believe that if your in the top 3 in your country u should at least play in a world qualifier to get into the worlds if not straight in!!! Whats your thought on it Gareth???????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2007 02:07PM by paddy number 1.

gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: May 23, 2007 02:57PM
If you had an automatic spot for the top player in every country in the world you would end up with 2 things. A field that was much bigger than 128 and a field that didn't have the best players in the world. My personal opinion is there should be a large number of countries represented (unlike snooker for instance) and all the best players should be in it. And I think thats what you have at the moment. No point being in it, if there is a better player not allowed in cos he's German, American or Filipino.

Plus, there is nothing stopping any player playing in a qualifier for the World Championship. In 2006 there were 10 qualifying events held the week before the World Championships.

All that said, it would be nice for Ireland to have an automatic spot.

Stephen
(IP Logged)

Date: May 24, 2007 05:54AM
Some good points there Gareth, never thought of it like that.

Stephen

ps, "No Shoes" should be called "Shoes" from now on, Gary is a rare name, hehehehehethe finger smiley

smileys with beer
Stephen

No shoes
(IP Logged)

Date: May 26, 2007 05:57AM
Thanks Gareth for the info.I agree with the yellow smily beer drinking thingy above...an interesting read.

Gary.

Big Dave
(IP Logged)

Date: May 29, 2007 09:41AM
Despite all that I would still like to see an Irish player in the WPC!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/BigDaveKnight/POOL/Pro9Signature2.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2007 09:41AM by Big Dave.

devil
(IP Logged)

Date: May 29, 2007 11:46AM
The full qualifying criteria can be found on the WPC website.

[www.worldpoolchampionships.com]

I see the EPBF have a spare place this year which they will be holding a qualifying event.

No doubt they will be pocketing all the revenue taken in and the qualifier will have to fund his own trip to the Philippines. eye rolling smiley

Maybe if Ronnie contacted the EPBF/Matchroom and asked for a spot.....you never know!

paddy number 1
(IP Logged)

Date: May 29, 2007 01:01PM
i would love to play in the world championship!!!! Might not happen for a while but hopefully it will happen eventually...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2007 02:21PM by paddy number 1.

Declan
(IP Logged)

Date: May 29, 2007 02:21PM
Go for it Paddy. If ya don't get a spot, sure try the qualifier route over there. Loads of chances to get in. Approach your sponsors to finance trip...

paddy number 1
(IP Logged)

Date: May 29, 2007 02:23PM
they can hardly finance a flight to cork!!!! no sponsorship, no tournaments abroad!!!!

Declan
(IP Logged)

Date: May 30, 2007 05:31AM
Ok, I wonder how much it would cost: Trip to Phillippines for WC...
Could the tour collectively finance one player to go? How financially viable is it? Perhaps we could factor in this cost across the whole season to our tour membership, tournament entry fees etc. It would be a good incentive if we, on the tour, could send our No. 1 player to the WC each year, even if it is just to the qualifiers the week before.

RB
(IP Logged)

Date: May 30, 2007 06:43AM
Its good to see your interested in supporting this trip Declan.....if i get a spot would you be prepert to sponsor to this trip, because if you are maybe nows the time to ask you seen you seem interested......

What about 12 to 15 sponsors at 100 ?????

I will sponsor 500.......

What do you think?????

Can i put your name down for 100 Sterling......

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2007 06:44AM by RB.

devil
(IP Logged)

Date: May 30, 2007 09:22AM
The costs (roughly) for travelling to the qualifiers in the Philippines would be:

Flight 700
Hotel 300
Entry 300

So a 16 man Irish qualifying event @ 100 or 32 players @ 50 would cover all the expenses to go.

There you go, you have a few months now to organise it before someone sets off for the time of their lives. smiling smiley

Or you could take 100 from every Irish Tour event entry fee and have a play off with say the top 32 at the end of the season to see who goes.......

There's a few examples of how it could be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2007 09:26AM by devil.

RB
(IP Logged)

Date: May 30, 2007 09:28AM
Hi Pat,

Im still in talks with matchroom and hopefully we can get one.......you never no!!!!

Has Scotland received a spot in this years event, and if so is Ross running a qualifier or are you invited back after your great performance last year.....or has Scotland got two spots....

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2007 09:30AM by RB.

devil
(IP Logged)

Date: May 30, 2007 10:50AM
Hi Ronald,

I get back in as a top 16 placing from last year - check the criteria link above.

Not sure if Scotland will be getting another place this year, best to check with Ross.

You could still organise a qualifying event and the winner gets all the proceeds towards their costs, whether that be an invitation spot or through one of the qualifying events in the Philipinnes.

No shoes
(IP Logged)

Date: May 30, 2007 11:11AM
Heres my tuppence worth on this;
I think Pat has touched on something with the 16-32 man qualifier idea, though taking 100 out of the pot each tourny i dont think is the answer.
A one off sponsor for the tourny in question to help fund it is an option...ie 2nd 3rd 4th prizes etc might be an option,Think about it...can we REALLY persuade 32 players @50 a go to play in an event that only the winner benefits?mmmm..im not so sure! also,you need these players willing to drop everything in November for a week or so to travel.
Anyway getting back to the sponsor thing, if one was found for this particular event, it might, in turn provide an opening for other sponsors to come in and support our own future irish tour events which i think we'll all agree would only be good for the future of this game in Ireland as a whole.
More prize money=more people crawling out of the cue sports world woodwork to play the game, more people playing the game=better profile for Ireland as a whole. common sense.

Gary

ps..Pat, have a good one at the Masters! smiling smiley

paddy number 1
(IP Logged)

Date: May 30, 2007 09:05PM
im always available to travel!!!! smiling smiley i agree with you gary i cant see 32 players at 50 entering but im sure theres some way round it.....

p. strawbridge
(IP Logged)

Date: May 31, 2007 09:55AM
Isnt Sam Gibson the current ALL IRELAND 9BALL CHAMPION?

some good points raised above though

paddy number 1
(IP Logged)

Date: May 31, 2007 12:24PM
yeah as far as i know......

so paul are u saying sam should go????

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here