plsllvn
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Racking Tip
Date: August 09, 2006 10:15AM
Here's a tip from across the pond regarding breaking.
Assuming that we are playing under the same conditions (a tight rack),your goal ,of the break is to make a ball ( if the nine goes- bonus), if you are racking then then your goal is make it hard for your opponent to "runout" (your still going to give him a tight rack!!).
Here's how you can control ( at least try to ) your opponents trip to the table.

Rack the balls the following way.

3 8

4 9 6

7 2

Here's the reasoning....(- these don't happen all the time but if your in a tought match you need every edge you can get)

The 1 ball will come off the side rail and will end up in the breaking area ( if it doesn't go into the side pocket).

The 2/7 will come off the side rails and end up near the end rail, center table.

The 3/8 will come out of the pack ,off the side rail and will travell back up the table.

The 4/5/6/9 - who cares!!

I f your opponent makes a ball, say the 4- heres is what you hope happens.

He has to shoot back up table towards the breaking area to make the 1 while trying to play position for the 2 ball ( hopefully the 2 has rolled towards the end rail, after the 2 he then has to chase the 3 back towards the breaking area for position. This " chasing for position " will continue throughtout the rack and hopefully it causes him to miss and you get to the table!!

Reminder- you don't need all of these scenarios to happen to make it difficult for your opponent to cause a miss.

What if you are playing someone who doesn't usually runout ( or where you get to rack your own break) ?
You rack the balls betting he won't ,as follows.

2 3

4 9 5

7 8

this will group the numbers together and allow for an easier runout when you get to the table.

Don't beleive me!!
Try it !!

Paul

BILLY G
(IP Logged)

Re: Racking Tip
Date: August 09, 2006 01:35PM
sorry mate if i seen a player taking his time and putting balls in a order over and over again,he would get a nice tap on the shoulder.its not breaking a rule but it is fixing and is unsporting,i

Willie
(IP Logged)

Date: August 10, 2006 09:52AM
Hi Paul smiling smiley, How's it going over there in CA?smiling smiley

Thanks, but no thanks buddy, I believe in playing the game fairly and honestly, like countless other players and that includes racking the balls at random, except for the ace and yellow ribbon smiling smiley

Thanks anyways buddy smiling smiley

Willie

plsllvn
(IP Logged)

Date: August 10, 2006 02:19PM
Willie / Billy -
the intent of this kind of rack is not to cheat your opponent ( I guess this could be argued ) but there is no rule to racking the balls- other than the 1-9, so why not rack as you want to?

Trust me, if you're hill-hill with a strong player, he's breaking and you rack the balls in the second scenario (1/2/3/4/9/5/6/7/8) he doesn't stop to explain to you what can happen, not even after he breaks and runs out.

Which leads me to asked you guys the same question,
"You're hill-hill with a strong player, he's breaking, do you pay attention to where the balls are in the rack and adjust them, either way?"
Probably not, even though you are aware of the different possibilities, but you'll be thinking about it, hehe!

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here