Gareth
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
World Straight Pool Championships
Date: June 04, 2006 05:36PM
Thorsten Hohmann has won the World Straight Pool Championships at the Hilton East Brunswick, New Jersey. He beat world hi-run record holder Thomas Engert in the final 200-80.

European Women's Straight Pool Champion, Jasmin Ouschan showed just what a rising star she is by claiming equal 5th, after loosing to Thorsten in the quarter-finals.

The 64 player event saw the cream of the world's straight pool players compete for the $52,000 prize fund.

Hohmann also made the highest run of the tournament, 174. Other notable runs include Mika Immonen 132, Max Eberle 127, Mike Sigel 125, Allen Hopkins 123.

Gareth Deegan
Irish9Ball.com

Willie
(IP Logged)

Re: World Straight Pool Championships
Date: June 05, 2006 04:17AM
Very nice shooting there from some top class players^_^, I must admit that I had Mike Sigel or Niels Fejin to win it, but I knew that Thorsten would be up there too cos he is a great all round player^_^

I was also glad to see the older legendary players there on the roster as well as the younger and fresher players^_^

I hope that this will be once again a regular tournament and not having to wait another 16 years before it's played again^_^

Thanks Gareth for the update buddy^_^

Willie

Gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: June 05, 2006 05:50AM
I saw Thorsten win the European Straight Pool in 2005 where it was races to 125. He ran 125 four times. In the final he played the best shot I've ever seen, a 2 rail bank to cut & make a combination to the corner. He made it and ran 125. IMO he is by far the best straight pool player in the world.

Thomas Engert still has the world record high run of 491, and he just won the Florida Open (wearing a Platinum Billiards shirt toosmiling smiley ). Its no surprise that the Euro players did well. Its shows what the EPBF is good at. While 14.1 has been dying in America, with the last US Open in 2000, the EPBF has continued to hold the Straight Pool, 9-Ball and 8-Ball every year, for Men, Women, Juniors and Seniors. They promote the sport as opposed to just chasing the money.

I said to Shane last week that Thorsten and Thomas would be my pics for the final. But I was surprised at how well Jasmin did. I saw her win the last two Women 14.1 Europeans, so she is a great Straight-Pool player. But to mix it with the best men in the world while being the youngest left in the event, shows a lot of class. She also won the BCA last fortnight, taking away $20,000 from a world class field. Definitely a star to look out for in the future.

Gareth Deegan
Irish9Ball.com

Willie
(IP Logged)

Date: June 05, 2006 06:00AM
I remember you telling me about that shot that Thorsten made against Niels Fejin^_^, and I'm not suprised that the Europeans are great at 14-1 as they have been competeing at it for the past 30? or so years^_^

Yeah, I agree totally on the EPBF, that's why I said to Ronnie about joining them because I knew that it would be opening alot of doors for alot of players, not just in the short term, but in the long term as well^_^

I would love to see someone from Ireland do well or even win any European Championship event, I have always hoped to see that and I always will, the same as I would hope to see the World Championships be held in Ireland, that would be just SWEEEEEEET^_^

Jasmin is a great player and I really enjoy hearing of the women players doing well and being given a good mention because more often than not, the women players are competeing to a high standard against the men and Jasmin certainly has proven that time and time again and I hope that there will be a time, that the women players, will enjoy the same amount of the spotlight as the men^_^

There is something that I was going to ask you about concerning the 14-1 tournament that I would still like to hold, I'll e-mail you in a few minutes^_^

Willie

Gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: June 05, 2006 06:18AM
I would love to see someone from Ireland do well or even win any European Championship event too.........hold on a sec, they did....his name is Fred.

Only pulling your wire Willie winking smiley

Gareth Deegan
Irish9Ball.com

Willie
(IP Logged)

Date: June 05, 2006 06:32AM
That's true, in fact he's done it twice^_^

Can I suggest something and I think that this is something that is only right to do^_^

Since Fred was been crowned World Champion and European Champion on 2 occasions, I would like to propse that Fred be given an honourary spot on the Irist Tour's 'Hall Of Fame' because to win those titles is a hell of an achievement and deserves recognition for it^_^

What do you guys think?^_^

Willie

Fred Dinsmore
(IP Logged)

Date: June 05, 2006 09:00AM
Thanks Willie nice thought.

Just one correction though I have 2 World Titles plus 1 World Snooker Title I have in fact only been European Champion once so far, 2 others have got away from me..... and yes Gar before you put something up I do also have enough EPBF Bronze to build a fairly large statue at this stage, but as you can tell I'm not bitter and twisted at this fact in way shape or form!!!!!

Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here