Willie
(IP Logged)

Death of a Legend
Date: May 30, 2006 11:32PM
Hey everyone, I have come here to bring some unpleasant and unhappy news and it is something that I don't like to do.

Steve 'The MIz' Mizerak has passed away in hospital.

I have copied this report from azbilliards.com.

Steve Mizerak
Pool World Loses The Miz
We are very saddened today to report the death of a true legend in the game of billiards. Steve "The Miz" Mizerak has left us.

Mizerak had been hospitalized since January when he was admitted for gall bladder problems. He had been in a coma for the past few months. Mizerak never completely recovered for the stroke he suffered in 2001.

Mizerak won the US Open 14.1 Championship an amazing four straight years from 1970 to 1973 and was the US Open 9-Ball Champion in 1978. He was inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame 1980 as the youngest member ever and was named the 6th best player of the century by Billiards Digest in 2000.

Those who knew Mizerak, will remember him more for what he did away from the table than what he did at the table. Ladies Spirit Tour Director Heather Barkley, a former employee of Mizerak's, commented "Steve wasn't about pool. He was about people. He loved people and he loved doing for people. When I was his secretary, he would constantly be bombarded with autograph requests. I asked him once if that didn't become annoying and he replied that If people wanted his autograph, it meant that he had done something in his life that meant something to those people. He felt that giving them an autograph was the least he could do."

Five time US Open Champion and fellow BCA Hall of Fame member Earl Strickland commented, "This comes as a shock to all of us. To hear that one of the greatest poolplayers of all time has passed away. It was an honor to compete against Steve. It was always difficult and exciting to play against him. I will always remember "The Miz". He will be misseed. Condolences to Karen and the family"

We have set up a special area of the AzBilliards forums for fans and friends to post their memories of Steve. Click here to read our 2000 interview with Mizerak.

I would like to suggest a 2 minute silence in respect of a legend at the next events being played, as a mark of respect to someone who gave so much to pool and people alike.

R.I.P. Steve, you may be gone, but your legend will never die.

Take care everyone and I hope that you as fellow players, would in some way either post a reply of some kind by either posting your memories of knowing of The Miz or to post your name and thoughts as a signature of condolence.

Willie 'The Wizard' Dines

Hud Millen
(IP Logged)

Date Registered: 20/03/2007
Re: Death of a Legend
Date: May 31, 2006 02:19AM
Willie,

Im new to the game and have never seen the Miz in action (been off the scene for a few years with a terminal illness i gather) although i have heard of some of his achievements/exploits in the world of pool. The guy was obviously a phenomenal talent and a very popular guy seeing how quick the news of his passing has spread.

My tribute to him will be to get a loan of a DVD to see him in action and respect him for the talent he was.

RIP The Miz

Hud

Stephen
(IP Logged)

Date: May 31, 2006 04:11AM
Hi Willie
I can't say I knew the man but I've been reading tributes at azbilliards forum, seems like the players nowadays, who I'd be more familiar with(name wise of course, not in person like yourself Willie! ) have "The Miz" and his like to thank for bringing pool to the next level. Check out www.youtube.com for pool related clips and see the great man in action.

Cheers
Stephen

Gareth
(IP Logged)

Date: May 31, 2006 05:09AM
I think for a lot of pool players in Ireland and the UK, Steve Mizerak would have been the first professional pool player they would have seen.

In one of the few occasions pool was shown on TV here in the 80's, I saw Mizerak play Steve Davis in a 3 game challenge in Deauville, France. Mizerak won the challenge by taking the 9-ball and 8-ball (Davis won the snooker match).

My other memory of him was in his cameo as Duke, opposite Paul Newman, in the Color of Money.

Winning four U.S. Open Championships and dozens of other tournaments, The Miz was one of the true legends of the game and a deserved inductee in the BCA Hall of Fame

He will be sadly missed.

Gareth Deegan
Irish9Ball.com

Fred Dinsmore
(IP Logged)

Date: May 31, 2006 07:04AM
I agree, he was a fine ambassador for our Sport and he will indeed be sadly missed.

Fred

Willie
(IP Logged)

Date: May 31, 2006 09:42AM
I have that same video Gareth, the challenge was 14-1 best of 3 race to 75 each game, then best or 9 Snooker and then best of 3 sets of 9ball, race to 7 each set.

As Stephen mentioned, there is a video clip of The Miz playing 14-1 against 'Michine Gun' Lou Butera, in which Steve is showing why he had won 4x consecutive US Open Straight Pool titles, as well as the numerous other titles.

Here's the link for you all;-

[youtube.com]

Take care everyone.

Willie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Register for free here